Shopfloor scheduling: how to provide visibility and responsiveness to supply chain
The supply chain ecosystem is constantly compounded by new and unforeseen barriers to both productivity and profitability. These chains are becoming increasingly wide and complex, leaving companies vulnerable to a multitude of challenges:
- Increased speed and reliability in delivery are now part of the standard expectations of our customers, leaving the company to deal with supply lead-times and unforeseen delays
- The increased complexity of today’s value chains requires a much better orchestration of activities, providing true end-to-end visibility and actionable insights where needed. Companies need to know how assets and resources are allocated to what matters most: customer satisfaction.
- Not only reaction, but prediction is now key to remain resilient and keeping the flow.
These problems can vary in severity and complexity, but the common factor is that they all require direct attention and a quick response from supply chain and operations management. Effective and efficient shop floor scheduling is essential in these situations. Shop floor schedulers enable optimized capacity utilization, order sequence, and setup and guarantee real time visibility of the production execution and future order. This helps planners save time while providing greater agility in respecting customers deadlines.
When it comes to choosing the best shop floor scheduling methods and tools for your needs is important to take in consideration some best practices to avoid common mistakes.
Scheduling your shop floor, making sure it responds to your customers demand it is fundamental to stay well tied to the customer orders in an increasingly volatile market. Tools that connect planning with execution are great in giving you this advantage. To meet customer commitments, you need an optimized production schedule taking into consideration all the key constraints while improving resources utilization.
Best capacity utilization
Before launching your production schedule, it is crucial to have a realistic and updated view of your internal and external capacity and potential constraints to ensure your plan is both optimized and doable. Prefer tools with integrated IoT and real-time manufacturing data to enable rapid changes where needed and optimize the customer deliveries.
Accessing real-time reliable data is also key to catch scheduling, quality, and delivery issues before they occur and proactively engage with suppliers about problems to align their expectations. Account for shop floor variability preferring tools that include predictive analytics.
Visual management for timely actions
As we all know, an image says more than a thousand words: use visual dashboards to guide the operator’s and manager’s attention to where action is needed. Show operators the plan and provide a real-time update on where we are vs the plan. Dashboards help people identifying what is needed at the right place and the right time.
Lean Management: eliminate non-value-added activity
Introduce optimization and remove wastes wherever you can to streamline processes and enable your workers to focus on what’s important. An intuitive User Experience can be a great efficiency enabler, guaranteeing lean process management and eliminating nonvalue add activities.
Our d-one shopfloor scheduler is designed for you
With our natively integrated platform d-one you will be able to manage the end-to-end connected supply chain.
Its algorithms and advanced analytics enable order sequence optimization, quick and consistent decision making, early problem detection and transparency in operations. Connecting data and processes, d-one’s IOT will enable a more reliable monitoring across the actors involved in the operations to detect problems earlier and prevent outages.
d-one’s Shopfloor Scheduler supports the creation of the most optimized detailed production plan. It is a centralized point of communication between your planning and production teams. It drives optimized production sequences by machine with best utilization of the factory capacity and considering potential constraints. Among its main features:
- Graphic Gantt with Colors – for graphical representation of planned and production orders, material availability, quick view of critical components, and the respect of the delivery date.
- Integrated Clear to Build – for components availability & sub assembly monitoring.
- Order sequence optimization – improving resources utilization while reducing the setup time and respecting material availability.
- Calendar and Capacity management with multiple variants.
- Integrated real-time manufacturing data – for up-to-date production progress.
- Process automation – automatic adjustment of bars lengths representing the duration of the production lot and automatic conversion of planned orders to production orders, potentially splitting big orders in smaller batches.
- Full integration with most ERP systems in use – to ensure full alignment to your company’s transactional backbone, while optimizing the supply chain and operations management.
By implementing d-one’s Shopfloor Scheduler you will benefit from a centralized source of truth to align all on the best detailed production plan, providing real time progress updates for rapid changes when needed, guaranteeing the best utilization of the factory capacity, enabling rapid decision making.
Major benefits measured by our customers are:
- 25% Customer Service Level improvement
- 20% Capacity utilization optimization
- 15% Lead Time reduction
- And enabling Manufacturing plant productivity up to 10% year over year
d-one enables transparency and drives efficiency by connecting and optimizing end-to-end processes creating a competitive advantage. It can be purchased by modules that solve your companies’ urgent challenges today while planning your leapfrog towards the Future Factory.